Historic 1910 Vernon Parish Courthouse

Come and enjoy Vernon Parish, Louisiana's Legend Country.

When Vernon Parish was first created in 1871, Dr. Edmund E.
Smart donated a block of land for the first courthouse and
other city structures. Early leaders built a simple wood-frame
structure which served the new community well until the
1880’s when citizens were able to finance a more substantial
building. Architectural problems, created by artesian wells on
the site, caused the tower on this building to pull away from the
main building, and in 1910 this one was also replaced.
Built in the shape of a Greek cross, the third and now historic
Vernon Parish Courthouse is the only Beaux-Arts building in
the parish. It has two full stories and a third story cupola,
which once housed the large bronze bell that now hangs in the
gazebo located on the northwest corner of the lawn. The cupola
also has four clocks, one on each side, and all are controlled by
one small electric motor.
Much of the interior has been modernized over the years,
but some original elements remain, like the staircase withits paneled newel posts and decorative iron balustrades; the
blue and brown tiled floor and the paneled wainscoting in the
main hall downstairs; and the decorative balustrades and other
woodwork encompassing the legal bench.
On July 4, 1976, a time capsule was buried on the courthouse
lawn which is meant to be opened on July 4, 2076. It is listed
on the National Register of Historic Places.

201 South 3rd Street